Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Surprise... a wood stove.

One of the things I miss most about my old Kansas farmhouse is the 1) free natural gas on our property, hence free heating bill and 2) the big brick fireplace, aka warm heat.

When we moved to Idaho and purchased this newer home, it did not have a fireplace and had an electric heater. Since we've lived here the last (8 years) I've looooonged for the warmth, view of the fire and that cracklin sound. Every year we tried to put enough money away to purchase a wood burning stove but never managed, until now.

I was out shopping with our friends and upon entering my home... this beautiful Vermont Castings wood burning stove was sitting in the corner of my living room with a big red Christmas bow gracing the front :)

Hubby ran a lightbulb into the top of it so it was glowing in the darkness.  What a surprise to come home to! It was our early Christmas present. I am a very happy girl and anxious for all the benefits of a fire, not to mention the lower electric bill.



Last night, our friend came over to help with the tile. Here are some pics of that process.








We decided to add one more row of tile... it's curing for 24 hours and tonight they will start the grout. Hubby says the stove should be burning by the end of the week :)  Will post more pics as the progress continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment