Saturday, August 13, 2011

Canning

~ love ~

I have always wanted to can. I love the pictures in the books and magazines featuring beautiful pantry’s lined with jars filled with fruits and veggies. I love the thought of the time spent with my daughter and passing down this tradition of preparing wonderful food for her own family. First, of course I need to learn to do it myself. I was not raised in a stay at home mom environment. Both my parents worked to survive, and I wasn’t taught.

I’ve made freezer jam over the years but have wanted to learn more. I own 4, yes four canners. The tool to pull the hot jars from the boiling water and many brand new jars and lids. The desire is there, but the know how was not.

Borders, my favorite store in the world is closing, just even typing those words aches my heart. I made myself go in the other day, despite all those awful “Closing” signs in my face and picked up a few books at a good discount. One of them being this one…..


Canning for a new Generation

"Bold, Fresh Flavors for the Modern Pantry"
Doesn't that sound yummy!

I LOVE this book! I love the simplicity, easy language, written in terms and explained to someone in step by step directions "Canning Illiterate" (like me).  It is divided into each season's fruits/veggies for all year canning, love that! She also included wonderful recipes to make with your preserves.

Listen to some of these canning recipes...

Peach Jam with Lemon Thyme and Almonds ~ Strawberry and Lemon Preserves ~ Strawberry and Lavender Jam ~ Mango Jam with Lime ~ Hot Cumin-Pickled Summer Squash ~ Charred Tomato and Chile Salsa ~ Minted Cranberry Relish with Walnuts

Hundreds of wonderful canning recipes. And I thought canning was for your basic tomatoes and green beans.

I am so excited to get started! Today, I'm running up to our local farm to grab my crate of peaches, a yearly ritual. I have so many more fun options than just the basic freezer jams.  I will post about each recipe I make and let you know how we liked them.

Do you can? How long have you canned and what do you can???

~ Happy Canning ~ and have a blessed day :)



No comments:

Post a Comment