Wednesday, August 31, 2011

A trip to Carver Farms


I love our local farm. Carver Farms grows an abundance of just about every fruit and vegetable available. They also house their own bee farm. In fall they have a wonderful pumpkin farm, corn maze, gourds, etc., and even grow Christmas trees. The ladies are wonderful and helpful.

So, I watched a documentary over the weekend called "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead". Have you seen it? If you haven't and have Netflix you can stream it and watch it instantly. Its very good.  It taught me about "micronutrients". The good stuff in raw vegetables that most of us don't get because we don't eat enough unprocessed and barely cooked veggies.  So while at Carvers today, I picked beets, chard, cucumbers and green tomatoes. I have never eaten chard and didn't know what the plant looked like, same with the beets. I told the owner of the farm that I was looking for these things, but I didn't know what they were or how to cut or pull them, lol. She was very kind and walked me to their location in the field and showed me the different varieties and where to cut the chard and pull the beets. I mentioned that I was going to juice them and that sparked a long converstion with her also wanting to watch the documentary.

Juicing is the best way to get these important nutrients and to benefit fully from them. My juice today consisted of apples, pears, beets and chard. Wow! It was really good! And the best part? My kids loved it and even had a second glass... yes, even my two teenage boys who hate and refuse to eat vegetables. So, it made me feel good to get those micronutrients into their bodies!

I have always juiced apples, oranges and carrots. I'm on my second juicer because we wore the last one out. I even sneak broccoli into the apple/carrot juice and the kids don't even taste it. Ha!

I also picked a million pounds of green tomatoes. I LOVE fried green tomatoes. This year I'm going to use them for relish, green tomato pie, and green tomato rice.

Fried Green Tomatoes (from Auntie Geetle)

Slice


Dip the slices in egg and then coat in flour
Alot of recipes on the internet call for cornmeal, but I prefer mine with flour


Fry until lightly browned


Salt with LOTS of Kosher salt, YUM!

I also made a few batches of vinegared cucumbers.

1 C Sugar
1 C Water
1 C Vinegar
Sliced Cucumbers and Onions
Keep in fridge


Have you made these? My mother in law shared her recipe and they are really good!

No comments:

Post a Comment